Thursday, May 31, 2012

"The Old Man and the Sea" from Kelli

Although I've read more in May than I have since winter break, not much of it has been from the list.  I had to, of course, finish The Hunger Games trilogy, as well as the books I mentioned I needed to read for my new job!  Finally, I was able to pick up this short novella.

I'll admit it now:  I love Hemingway.  The first piece I read by him in high school is called The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber, which is about big game hunting (or at least, the plot is.  Is Hemingway's message ever really so simple though?)  You can find the full text here and it is well worth the read. http://www.tarleton.edu/Faculty/sword/Short%20Story/The%20Short%20Happy%20Life%20of%20Francis%20Macomber.pdf.  After reading this short story in high school, I decided to try reading The Old Man and the Sea and didn't get very far (despite it being so short).  Thus, as a sixteen year old does, I drew a hard and fast line and decided I hated Hemingway's writing.  

Seven years later, I'll finally come out of the closet as a Hemingway-lover.  I've read A Moveable Feast, In Our Time, The Sun Also Rises, and now The Old Man and the Sea and none of them have disappointed.  However, I will put The Old Man and the Sea at the bottom of that list.  Why is this the piece that won him the Pulitzer?  It's the same way I feel about Steinbeck.  Why is The Grapes of Wrath the most critically acclaimed.  Did no one read East of Eden?  It is clearly the masterpiece!  Regardless, this classic tale of will-power, courage, defeat, and love was enjoyable, I was able to finish it in a day, and especially nice to finish alongside the thunderstorm outside of my window.

GRADE SHEET:
Pacing: B
Protagonist's Likability: A-
Satisfying Ending: B+
Deserving of a Pulitzer: Nay
Accuracy of Fishing Vocabulary: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment