Monday, May 28, 2012

"Howard's End" - Caitlin's Thoughts

After disliking the last book so much, I was nervous I would hate all novels on the list.  I went for an author I knew I liked (E.M. Forster) and he didn't disappoint.

GENERAL IMPRESSIONS:  Forster may be the first male author (certainly in the early 20th century) to ever create female heroines I like.  And the main character, Margaret, from this book is my favorite of all Forster's heroines.  This was also his funniest novel.  And I don't mean "oh, I bet this was funny in 1910" but I actually laughed out loud (especially in the beginning) at several parts.  As usual, Forster's work is cleverly crafted with a well-driven plot, although the denouement is perhaps a bit short and slightly less satisfying than the rest of the book.  All in all, a delightful, quick, cheerful read that has restored my faith in books.

SPOILER ALERT:  There are some real shockers in here that I really can't in good conscience give away.

MUSINGS:  If I'm single at 30, I hope to be as happy about it as Margaret is.

GRADE SHEET:
Narrator's Likeability: A
Pace: B+
Readability: A
Satisfying Ending: B
Use of German Cousins: B-
Socio-economic Sensitivity: A

No comments:

Post a Comment