Sunday, May 13, 2012

BOOKS! from Kelli

In an effort to subdue the insistence of my roommate and best friend that I read "The Hunger Games", I went to see the movie with them a few weeks ago.  I liked the movie so much that I decided to read the first book, and I liked that so much that I finished the second in a few hours this weekend.  The writing is not exceptional, but it doesn't distract from the plot, which is fast paced and incredibly enjoyable.  And, despite being at a reading level appropriate for a pre-teen, it's not stupid like the cultural phenomenon "Twilight" is.


Secondly, my new school, DSST, sent me two books to read in preparation for summer school.  I could not be more delighted to have a school that encourages reading and professional development in this way.  Since I have to make those a priority to read before my move, I might not be making much progress on the top 100 list until then.

3 comments:

  1. kell-belle: i wouldn't stress about it. i read the hunger games and other YA fiction like it's my job in between classic literature. WE'RE TOTALLY STILL GOING TO FINISH THIS CHALLENGE

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've already made gangbuster progress, so I wouldn't worry about a month or so dormancy. Out of curiosity, what are the two books your school gave you to read?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They gave me "The Girl Who Owned a City" and "Teach Like a Champion". I've read Teach Like a Champion before, but I need to reread to make sure I'm prepared. I already finished The Girl Who Owned a City - it's the book the sixth graders read as they matriculate and it's got some great values that it gets across in a good story.

    ReplyDelete