Sunday, July 8, 2012

"Main Street" - Caitlin's Musings aka I Love You Sinclair Lewis

I'm slowing down reading-wise as I have been back to reading tons for my job.  This book took me forever to read but not because it was slow, boring, or challenging.

GENERAL IMPRESSIONS:  Why didn't I read any Sinclair Lewis sooner?  I'm pretty sure he's my soul mate.  But seriously.  For once, a book about someone who is unhappy with their life and after fighting unsuccessfully to change it for a long time, just leaves it.  And I really appreciated that Carol (big town girl moved to small town with her country-bumpkin doctor hubby post-marriage) had perspective.  Like her woes were not as bad as those of unwed mothers, poor immigrant farmers, or factory workers.  This is how rational people think and these type of characters don't make enough appearances in classic literature.  Add in the excellent political commentary and intelligent viewpoint on the Midwest and small-town America and this one of my new faves from the challenge.  Ending could have been a bit cheerier but you can't get everything you want.

SPOILER ALERTS:  The main character has a lot of perseverance so be prepared for a lot of the same.

MUSINGS:  So happy to see a male author writing about an independent suffragette type who still loves her baby lots.  That's right.  Feminists have feelings too.

GRADE SHEET:
Narrator's Likeability: A+++
Pacing: B
Readability: A
Pro-East Coast Mentality: A
Satisfying Ending: B
Rationality: A

No comments:

Post a Comment