Friday, June 1, 2012

"O, Pioneers" - Caitlin's Take


Read en route from ORDàABQ.  My Kindle is my new favorite travel accessory.

GENERAL IMPRESSIONS:  All I have to say to Willa Cather is DAYUM GIIIIIRL!  YOU CAN WRITE!  Besides taking place in Norwegian-populated Nebraska and being awesome, this was not at all like My Antonia.  More hopeful, more modern, and more romantic but not in a cheesy way.  Cather writes with an extremely understated elegance.  Every sentence is purposeful which means the book never drags but you want to read it slowly nonetheless in order to catch every word.  Awesome heroine + star crossed lovers + sensitivity without sappiness + heart-stopping climax= unbeatable combination.  I really can’t say enough how much I enjoyed this. 

MUSINGS:  Willa Cather must love Nebraska. 

SPOILER ALERTS:  This challenge has really made me come to terms with bittersweet endings.  This one is the bitterest and simultaneously sweetest yet. 

GRADESHEET:
Pace: A- (just a bit too fast in the beginning)
Readability: A+
Narrator’s Likeability: B+
Satisfying Ending: A+++
Forgiving of Human Faults: A
Hilarious Descriptions of the French: A

(For an update on totals: I'm at 34, Kelli is at 33, Lynn is at 49, and Marie is at 28)

No comments:

Post a Comment