Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Bostonians - Lynn Passes the 1/2 Way Mark

OK, I thought I was going to hate this book. It's long, it has no plot to speak of, and what's more, my fellow blogger, Caitlin, really despised another James selection on the list: Portrait of a Lady.

But I don't hate it. Surprisingly, despite all of its faults (the author's contempt for his characters, the run on sentences, the lack of progression), I do not hate it. I'm 630 pages into this 1111 page behemoth, and it's OK. The ideas James presents through his characters are... well... damned interesting.

That said, I also don't love it. But maybe the ending will save it. It's got 381 pages to get itself into the plus column. We'll see...


1 comment:

  1. Yikes - it's not 381 more pages, it's 481. Good thing this isn't a math challenge.

    ReplyDelete