Saturday, November 26, 2011

"Their Eyes Were Watching God" - Lynn's Take

I started to read the novel's introductions by two renowned Zora Neale Hurston scholars, but I stopped because they were so stiflingly academic.  I'm glad I didn't read them through, because they came close to killing my desire to read Their Eyes Were Watching God, and it is a profound and profoundly enjoyable read without all the folderol about how important it is.

I had a little trouble at first with the dialogue, which is written in stereotypical southern-black vernacular.  It made me feel vaguely bigoted for participating in something that seemed so disrespectful.  I had to remind myself several times that it was written in the early 20th century, and by an African-American writer.  Times change and context matters.

Once I got past the dialogue, I thoroughly enjoyed the book.  Janie Crawford is a strong woman who withstands, but doesn't bow to, the indignities in her life.  Despite the constricts of her position as a woman in a  male dominated society, she refuses to be satisfied with what is acceptable and looks until she finds a relationship that allows her to experience the love she wants and to be completely herself.

Beyond the strong character Hurston built in Janie, the descriptive power of the book is captivating, and the innovative framing of the story (Janie telling her story to her friend Phoeby in the course of an evening) grounds it.

No comments:

Post a Comment