Monday, November 21, 2011

"In Our Time" - Lynn's take

It took me a long time to "get into" this book.  I was looking for a strong theme between the stories, and I didn't find it.  Finally, the beautiful writing overtook the lack of connection (at least that I could find) between the stories and I began to enjoy it.

I am so, So, SO glad that I slogged through the confusion of not understanding the book's theme.  The payoff at the end was tremendous.  I don't believe I've ever read a more absorbing story than the two part, "Big Hearted River." Hemingway's writing is so clear, so transparent, that I felt I was actually on the river with Nick.  Here's an example of the shining prose, describing Nick's interaction with a trout:

"He hung unsteadily in the current, then settled to the bottom behind a stone.  Nick reached down his hand to touch him, his arm to the elbow under water.  The trout was steady in the moving stream, resting on the gravel, beside a stone.  As Nick's fingers touched him, touched his smooth, cool, underwater feeling he was gone, gone in a shadow across the bottom of the stream."  


When I finished the book, I still didn't have a sure idea what the theme was.  I thought about it for awhile and decided that all of the stories were about men with whom Nick served during WWI.  I was wrong.  In fact the book's theme is much looser:  "In Our Time" (just after WWI) is the theme.  Good name then, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment