Thursday, August 2, 2012

Howards End - Lynn's Take

Howards End is the third E.M. Forster I've read during the challenge, and it's by far the most fully realized.  Written in 1910, the plot involves the intertwined lives of the conservative, upper-crust Wilcoxes, the progressive, upper-crust Schlegels, and the working-class Basts.

If I told you the arc of the story (which I won't, because you should read this book), it would sound contrived and precious and deus ex  machina.  But it's not.  As I read, every plot twist seemed like the most natural course of events. And the characters, even the ones that I ended up not liking all that much, were sympathetic.

In my opinion, this is by far the best written book of the three I've read.  It transcended commentary on English society to be a poignant observation of the human condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment