Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"Room with a view" -Caitlin's Take

I guess reading law books all the time made me forget how much I love novels and how quickly I can read one!

GENERAL IMPRESSIONS: I've read two other Forster novels and this was pretty similar in style. Basically, some English folks go to "the Continent", some manners type stuff happens, some romance happens, and Forster tries to insert some deeper meaning into his work which is apparent but not especially thought-provoking. The book was quick, easy, sometimes funny, and very endearing. Much more optimistic and cheerful than pretty much anything else I've read for this challenge or, to be honest, anything I've ever read that is considered "literature." However, the most bizarre and maybe even interesting moment in the story (a man being killed and falling into the heroine's arms) is not given nearly enough treatment.

SPOILER ALERTS: Finally, a happy ending! Unusual for modern novels and Forster stories alike!

MUSINGS: If Mr. Beebe was a priest in every Catholic church in Iowa, Rick Santorum would never have made it on the ballot. Why can't modern Catholic priests be more like Victorian Catholic priests?

GRADESHEET:
Narrator's Likability: Average
Pace: A
Readability: B+
Satisfying Ending: A
Originality: C
Endearing Old British Men: A++

No comments:

Post a Comment